Gearing up for the IBPS Clerk 2017 exam? Hope this post serves you good help. The numerical ability or quant section of the IBPS clerk exam is considered to be one of the trickiest in the exam. This is however the case with most of the competitive exaibms. Therefore, we bring to you tips to score high in the quant section in the upcoming IBPS clerk exam.
Topics & No. of Questions
The numerical ability section in the IBPS clerk prelims 2017 will include 35 questions. Below is the expected break-up of the section (based on previous years’ exams). Understand this break-up and prepare accordingly.
- Arithmetic – 8-10 questions
- Profit & Loss
- Ratio & Proportion
- Simple Interest & Compound Interest
- Time & Work
- Time, Distance & Speed
- Mixture & Allegations
- Averages etc.
- Series – 5 questions
- Quadratic Equations – 5 questions
- Simplification – 5 questions
- Probability – 0-2 questions
- Data Interpretation – 10 questions
- Pie Chart
- Bar Graph
- Tables etc.
Allocate about 25 minutes for this section. Along with reasoning, this section tends to take the maximum amount of time in the exam. Try to attempt the easier and less time-consuming questions first so that you can clear the sectional and overall cut off.
Categorize Quant Questions
This categorization will help you during exam preparation as well as in the exam.
Easy and Scoring Questions – These will include questions that are easy and quick to solve. Questions from Simplification, Arithmetic Topics, Percentages, Averages etc. will fall under this category. Try to attempt these questions first to gain confidence and score better in the exam.
Difficult and Time-consuming Questions – These will include questions that will be slightly more difficult than above and solving these also involves quite some time. Questions from Probability, Quadratic Equations, Number Series, Data Interpretation will fall under this category. As these questions might be tricky, to attain accuracy, you need to ensure adequate practice before the exam.
Go back to School
You have studied almost all the topics covered in the IBPS clerk exam. You need to go back to your school studies and get your basics clear. Study concepts in order as many are interconnected. In Quant, formulas play an important role. Maintain notes of important formulas which you can refer to from time to time. Few important Quant formulas are listed below.
- Geometry Theorems
- Pythagoras Theorem: AC2 = AB2 + BC2
- Apollonius Theorem: If AD is the median, AB2+ AC2 = 2 (AD2 + BD2)
- Angle Bisector Theorem: If AD is the angle bisector for angle A, AB/BD = AC/CD
- Area (2D Figures)
- Area of a Circle = πr2
- Diameter of a Circle = 2r
- Circumference of a Circle = 2πr
- Area of a Rectangle = lxb (l=length, b=breadth)
- Area of a Square = a2 (a=side)
Get your Study Resources
- Quantitative Aptitude Test by N.K. Singh
- Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Exams by R.S. Agarwal
- Kiran’s Textbook of Quickest Mathematics
- Important Quant Formulae Flash Cards
- Quantitative Ability Daily Quiz
Practice makes you perfect and it is absolutely correct in terms of quant. Regular practice is important even for those who think quant is their forte. Practice both sectional and topic-wise tests based on IBPS clerk exam format. After every mock attempt, analyse your score and identify the weak areas. Try to concentrate more on those and attempt additional tests for those topics. This will help you gain an edge over the difficult topics. Along with sectional tests, also attempt full-length mocks on IBPS clerk to get a feel of the actual exam.
You can practice full-length as well as sectional mock tests from Oliveboard. With our platform, you will be able to analyse your performance for each mock. Here’s how Oliveboard mocks will help you prepare better:
- Our study plan creates a personalized study schedule based on syllabus, important topics and time available. We help you track your progress and upcoming tasks
- OliveBoard’s platform gives your All India Standing (AIR). Also, by using this platform you can reduce your study time as it identifies your weak areas and provides remedial practice tests for the same.
Manage your Time Smartly
Time management is crucial in every competitive exam. While practicing for the quant section of IBPS clerk, you need to keep an eye on the time spent. Try to improve your calculation speed. Include calculation in your daily life, practice mental math, memorize multiplication, square and cubes tables. Also, learn Vedic math tricks and short-cuts to solve problems. However, you will gain a strong hold over these tricks only with rigorous practice.
Read Carefully and Avoid Guess Work
In a hurry of solving questions faster, many make the common mistake of not reading the question carefully. Always read the question carefully, understand it and then attempt the answer. Also, as there is negative marking in the IBPS clerk exam, avoid guess work.
These were few tips to score higher in the quant section. Get a complete understanding of the basics and make practice your final mantra to success. We wish you all the best for the exam.
If you have any further questions, feel free to start a discussion in Oliveboard forum or mention it in the comment section below.